Types of gifts
You can determine when and how your gift to the university should be used. It could be provided for current projects or invested to provide a lasting legacy for generations to come.
Current-use gifts of any size can be made to the academic initiative, strategic objective, research programme, faculty, student residence or society of your choice. These include:
- Stellenbosch University Bursary Fund
- Deans’ Funds (in the faculty of your choice)
- Residences and Societies
- Operational costs (equipment and ad hoc human resource needs)
- Named research chairs (for the duration of the funding). A revenue-funded (current-use) research chair requires on average R2 million per annum to support a top researcher and his/her team.
Endowments are permanent funds that are invested to create a lasting resource that grows in perpetuity. The fund may be established in your name or in honour or memory of another. These include:
- Stellenbosch Trust
- Named research chairs
- Endowed bursaries or scholarship funds
- Endowed Deans’ Funds
- The cost of endowing a research chair in perpetuity at a South African university falls in the region of R30 million to R38 million. This is based on certain assumptions for growth in the future.